Berlin the Beautiful

First day and I made it through alive!  Well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but let’s just say I navigated the city and made it back to the hostel in one piece.  But, it has definitely been a long day!

Waking up at 2:45am is never easy, and grabbing a 4:30am coach to the airport is that much harder.   But, it beats paying for a night at a Heathrow hotel, which isn’t cheap.  I flew Germanwings from London to Berlin and was pleasantly surprised with the experience.  The flight was a little delayed, but only by 5 minutes.  The flight attendants were friendly and served water, cheese/ham sandwiches and chocolates to everyone onboard.  Better than a pack of peanuts if you ask me!

We touched down at Berlin Tegal and, of course, it began to rain.  It’s like I attract the rain wherever I go these days!  But, not bother.  Passport control was the best I’ve ever experienced.  Literally, walked off the plane, had my passport checked and stamped, and was on my way to baggage.  There were 4 passport checkers right at the end of the tunnel, which was unbelievable.  The bags arrived within 5 minutes of getting of the plane as well.  Kudos Berlin for making my airport experience an A+!

Once out of luggage claim, I easily found the Tourist Information desk to purchase my Berlin Welcome Card.  This card gives me access to all the public transportation as well as discounts at restaurants and museums.  Since I’ll be here 4 nights, it just made sense.  It’s also predicted to rain every day so now I won’t have to worry about getting stuck in it.

Next step…figure out how to get to my hostel, The Wombat.  Now, of course I did all the research I could before leaving home regarding directions, and the hostel provided very helpful directions on my confirmation email.  I took the TXL bus to Alexanderpratz, then the U2 (underground) from Alexanderprats to Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz.  From there, a few quick lefts and I was at my doorstop.

The Wombat staff was super friendly when I arrived and I only had to wait 20 minutes before checking into my room.  During that wait, I was handed a wifi password that’s good for 7 days.  Not bad since most hostels nowadays charge an arm and a leg for wifi.

Now, when I originally booked my room, I could only book two nights in a 6 mixed dorm and two nights in a 6 female dorm.  This meant I would have to check out after two nights and recheck-in.  Fortunately, The Wombat was able to put me into a 6 female dorm for all 4 nights, making my life a whole lot easier!

When I finally got into my room I met Vivian, an exchange student from Hong Kong studying for a semester in Liverpool.   Super friendly and also travelling on her own.

IMG_2385 IMG_2387

With the sun peaking out from behind the clouds for a bit, I knew I needed to suck up the exhaustion and get out there.  I took the U2 to Potsdamer Platz and found some original pieces of the Berlin Wall on display.  From there I took a quick walk to fine Tiergarten.  Since I’ll probably be dodging rain for the next few days. I took a stroll through the park, taking in its greenness and spring-like smells.

IMG_2314 IMG_2315 IMG_2325 IMG_2322

Then, I made a quick peak at the Reichstag building to see its beautiful glass dome and stone sculptures.

IMG_2346 IMG_2352

On the way there I found the Memorial To The Sinti and Roma of Europe Murdered Under National Socialism.

IMG_2333 IMG_2330 IMG_2331 IMG_2332

Next, I went from one side to the other of the Brandenburger Tor.  This city gate was built in the 18th century and was a symbol of divided Berlin and the Cold War.

IMG_2335 IMG_2342 IMG_2340

With the weather still on my side I walked up Unterden Linden to Schloβplatz for a quick look at Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Fernsehturm (TV Tower) and St. Marienkirche.

IMG_2365 IMG_2373 IMG_2374 IMG_2383

Then, the wind started picking up and I realised all I ate today was a peanut butter sandwich and a few bites of my cheese sandwich on the airplane.  So I jumped back on the U2 from Alexanderplats (yep, ended up back there) towards the hostel.  Knowing I didn’t want to be too far from my hostel, I grabbed a quick Italian dinner at La Cucina next door.  Tortellini alla panna did the trick and I was back on my feet…and heading for the hostel.


When I first checked in I received a drink coupon, but I don’t think I’ll be using that tonight! Better save it for tomorrow when I can enjoy it. Might even check-out the Photo Booth that’s outside my window then as well.  But for real, there’s a Photo Booth outside.


For not, I think it’s time to head to my room, put on a movie and get ready for my New Europe Tour tomorrow morning!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s